Friday, March 10, 2017

Update on my Propagated Fiddle Leaf Fig

Since its been nearly a year since my accidental propagation/replanting of my fiddle leaf fig, I thought I'd give you all an update. (You can read the original post here.)

I actually receive a couple of emails a month questioning if this actually worked, long term, and I'm very happy to say that it did!

As a quick recap, we moved and the plant didn't fair so well. Before I tossed it I clipped the one branch that still had life and stuck it in water. To my surprise it rooted itself and I planted it back in soil.

So, a few things...first of all, it's alive and thriving!

It actually just sprouted a new leaf this week.



Secondly, it's extremely slow growing. If you look back to that previous post, you'll see that it really doesn't look all that different in size.



As far as care, I keep it near this sunny window in our living room. I don't really vary its location because they tend to be extremely temperamental. I also water it one time a week. Maybe I should buy some plant food? Do a lot of you use that on your indoor plants?



Anyway, I'm seriously excited by this little experiment gone right. I'm currently trying to root some clippings from my snake plant. I've read various methods (from rooting them in water to just sticking the clippings in soil), I went with the water method. It's been a month and not really anything so far. I'll keep you all posted if I have success.

And speaking of, comment or message me your tips on growing ferns. I think I just killed one in less than a month. I seriously followed the little info card that came with it and it's dropping little leaves everywhere. I don't know....too much water, not enough? Like my fiddle leaf (and my other plants) I water it once a week.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.