Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Black Shiplap in the Living Room

Just about a year ago we did a cedar accent wall in our living room. (You can read that post here). I thought it was important to add character to this space since it is basically a box with no mantel and a front door right onto the porch.

Have I mentioned that I struggle with this room. Just nothing I do seems to satisfy what I'm really trying to achieve. Anyway, I went against my better judgement and initially stained the boards in a variety of colors. It ended up being too rustic and country and busy for me.
   So, recently I painted it Benjamin Moore's Mopboard Black. This really rings true to my style. I have to say I was a bit nervous because there would be no going back, but I think it works exceptionally well with the flow of the home (based on the rooms we've already completed).



Here are the three versions of the room, the before picture being from the real estate listing...


I also want to mention that I only did one coat of paint. I wanted some of the texture and interest to still be evident.



I have so much that I want to do in this room still.  I'm almost sure that dresser will be moving to another area of our home. It will be replaced with mid century end tables. I also want to switch up some art, shorten the curtains, get a chandelier, a blanket ladder and an oriental rug to layer under the hide. Also, to be honest, I'm not sold on the long term quality of the IKEA sofa we have.



I also need to accept the length of time that this is going to take. I want things done like yesterday. All of the things left in this room are cosmetic and I really need to address some necessities. So, my plan is there, but maybe slightly on the backburner.

Tell me this is all totally normal to want like everything done and beautiful, like...now!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.