Wednesday, February 27, 2013

[Project Notebook] New or Vintage Couch?

 
Last week, on my Facebook page, I started a discussion on purchasing a couch. Specifically, would you buy new or would you buy vintage and have it professionally reupholstered? (You can check out my fb page, here.)
 
Martino and I have totally different thought processes regarding this whole couch issue.  Can you guess what side of the discussion I'm on? If you said vintage, you are totally right!
 
Nevertheless, I do feel it is a good idea to weigh all my options since this is such a big purchase.
 
In terms of new couches, I have it narrowed down to the following five options, with option number four being the top pick.
 
 
 
 
 

 
I'm totally more the dreamer and risk taker, so having an old couch professionally reupholstered is my top pick.  Additionally, as you all know, I love vintage and repurposing and reusing older items. I just truly think there is so much beauty, quality and craftsmanship in older furniture.  And it's so much better environmentally, right?
 
With that said, I have been researching before and afters to get a feel for what can be done.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pretty amazing makeovers, right?
 
Lastly, on the vintage front, here is a completely comprehensive article by my fave designer, Emily Henderson, outlining Everything You Need to Know About Reupholstering Vintage Furniture.  If you are ever even considering this idea then check out her excellent post.
 
 
 
 Now, please, please, please tell me your opinions.  What do you think we should do?  Have you bought new before and from where? Or, have you purchased vintage and reupholstered? 
 
I can't wait to read your comments!
 
 
 

 
Linking to:
DIY Show Off Mod Vintage Lifehttp://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/2013/02/nifty-thrifty-tuesday-no151.html My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia52 MantelsBeyond The Picket FencePhotobucket A Delightsome Life Rooted In Thymevif187Liz Marie Bloghttp://www.jenniferrizzo.com/ Boogieboard Cottage”FallFridays Unfolded  http://www.savvysouthernstyle.net/


 

6 comments:

  1. great inspiration! i love the character of vintage sofas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have both, antique settees and a new couch (different rooms). We got the antiques because they fit the look of the parlor room, but in our more modern tv room, the new couch was a must! The antiques are beautiful, but you can't lay on them, in fact, you pretty much have to perch on them, but they are fine for the occasional use. I feel very proper when I'm in that room though, so it's really just a company room, not somewhere I go to relax. The couch in the tv room though is comfy (down in the cushions!), and is the best sleep ever! In fact, it's hard to make it through a show if you stretch out on it, and God forbid if someone should put a throw over you! Out like a light! So I guess I am answering your question with "What are you going to use this couch for? Where is it going...and who's going to be sitting on it?"

    Our cousin has a vintage wicker couch in her living room, and she thinks it's fabulous' she even had the cushions reupholstered.....but it's the hardest cushion I've ever sat on.....it's like a rock! I would NEVER have chosen that couch, especially since it's the ONLY place to sit in her very small living room.

    I think comfort should be the first thought about furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela. My vote would be vintage, but I live with three guys who like to lay, sprawl out, (hog) our couch, and they have such bid bodies I feel like sectionals work best for us. Although we can't afford anything right now, I would really be struggling over this one. BTW--I just realized I wasn't following you. So now I am, happily I might add.
    Leslie (Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela. When my husband and I were first married, we bought a heavy vintage couch for $25 and had it professionally reupholstered in dark chocolate (brown) heavy fabric. It lasted for over twenty years and wear and tear of two little boys growing up! But I was sick of the same old same old and the brown. You can only change accent pillows so many times. I finally donated it to the GW. It still looked good, too! Since then, I've bought three new couches that didn't last. But I didn't mind because tastes change and color schemes change. The new couches were more comfortable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm biased, but I would go vintage! I'm following you via GFC. I host Fluster Creative Muster Party on Wednesdays and I would love it if you would come by and party with us. Hope to see you there!

    Hugs, Smiles, and Blessings,

    Robin
    Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you choice #4. #3 was close though. I would consider vintage and reupholster. I am just no help! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.